Shepherd University
Room 211 Scarborough Library / 301 N King Street
Shepherdstown, WV 25443-5001
(304) 876-5693
Contact Us
Getting Started
The Basics
Study Abroad FAQs
Apply for Study Abroad
How to Apply
Create Account
How to Choose a Program
More Information
Download Forms & Policies
Upcoming Events
For Parents
Spring: October 15
Summer: March 1
Fall: May 1
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When do I start planning?

A. Begin planning at least about 1 year prior to departure. Apply for most non-Shepherd programs at least 6 to 9 months before leaving. Complete all paperwork ONE SEMESTER before departure.

Q. Am I eligible to study abroad?

A. You may travel on most Shepherd trips your first year. For Shepherd faculty-led programs, you must be in "good academic standing". Please note that individual departments and instructors may require higher standards and/or additional requirements as pre-requisites. Contact the individual department for details.

For non-Shepherd programs, you must have completed 30 credit hours (15 hours at Shepherd) AND have a GPA of at least 2.5 for undergraduates. Graduate students need a minimum 3.0 GPA. Non-Shepherd programs may require a higher GPA. You must be in good judicial standing.

Q. When should I study abroad for non-Shepherd programs?

A. The earliest students are eligible to study abroad on non-Shepherd programs is the Summer after two  semesters on campus.  Students typically study abroad in their second or third years. The last 12 credits of your degree must be taken at Shepherd University.

First Year                 Second Year                Third Year            Fourth Year

Fall         NO               Fall        YES              Fall        YES         Fall       YES

Spring     NO              Spring     YES             Spring     YES         Spring    NO

Summer  YES            Summer  YES              Summer YES

Q. Do I need a passport?

A. Yes! Apply for a passport about six months before departure. Your passport should be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date you intend to return.Visit the U.S. Department of State for requirements and forms.

Q. How long will I be abroad?

A. Shepherd faculty-led programs vary from about 10 days during spring break to three weeks in the summer.  Non-Shepherd programs run for a semester, an academic year, and 4 to 8 weeks in the summer.

Q. How much will study abroad cost?

A. Costs vary by program. Different programs include different options. Additional costs may include travel costs, some living expenses, passport, health and travel insurance, etc.. Estimate all your program costs.

Q. Are there scholarships for study abroad?

A. Yes. See Funding. Begin the application process well in advance of the deadlines.

Q. If I go on a non-Shepherd program, will my credits transfer back to Shepherd?

A. Meet with your academic advisor to determine which courses can be applied to your major, core curriculum or be transferred as electives. Pick up a Transfer Approval Form in the Study Abroad Office. Carefully read and complete the form and return it to the Registrar. Your advisor and relevant department chair(s) must sign this form. Keep a copy of the form for yourself.

Q. Can I use my financial aid or any scholarships I have?

A. In most cases you can use your financial aid and scholarships. Meet with Financial Aid and provide them with all study abroad program costs. You will need your completed transfer approval form for a Consortium Agreement that enables your financial aid to be applied to your study abroad program. Visit the Business Office to have your financial aid refund check mailed or to have someone pick it up and/or deposit it.

Q. Where can I go?

A. Shepherd offers programs in 64 countries. Students have studied in Australia, China, Costa Rica,  Europe, and Russia to name only a few destinations--explore and  find out how to determine what is right for you.

Q. Where will I live abroad?

A. On Shepherd trips you will stay in a hotel or host family. Non-Shepherd program options may include residence halls, apartments, or host families.

Q. Can I take classes in English?

A. Shepherd’s faculty-led opportunities are all in English. Many non-Shepherd programs offer instruction in English, even if the language of the country is not English.

Q. Can I receive language credit for classes taken abroad?

A. Yes, participate on a Shepherd faculty-led program to study Spanish and French abroad for Shepherd credit. Alternatively, take language courses on a non-Shepherd program after first obtaining approval from English and Modern Languages and completing the Transfer Approval form.

Q. Will I need any shots/immunizations?

A. You may need immunizations/inoculations for destinations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Check with your program provider and Traveler's Health from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Q. Will I need extra health insurance when I travel?

A. Yes. Contact your health insurance company to determine what coverage you have while abroad. Some program providers include health insurance; know what your program covers. The Study Abroad Office has names of insurance providers.

Q. Where can I find more information?

A. Stop by the Study Abroad Office.

Shepherd University Study Abroad Office